Equality and diversity is at the heart of everything we do at UHSM. We are committed to delivering a high quality, open and responsive service to our patients by a workforce that reflects our local community.
Equality is the framework that enables opportunity, access, participation and contribution that is fair and inclusive.
Diversity is about recognising, valuing and respecting differences within and between groups of people. This enables us to make improvements to our services and employment arrangements for our staff.
The Equality Act 2010
The Equality Act is the UK’s discrimination law, which protects individuals from unfair treatment and promotes a fairer and equal society.
It protects people from discrimination, harassment and victimisation in work, education and when accessing services like healthcare.
The Equality Act protects anyone who falls into a protected characteristic:
- Gender reassignment
- Marriage and civil partnership
- Pregnancy and maternity
- Religion or belief
- Sexual orientation
The Public Sector Equality Duty
The Equality Act introduced the Public Sector Equality Duty which is made up of a general equality duty supported by specific duties. To meet the requirements the Trust has an obligation to publish information to show what we are doing to:
- Eliminate discrimination, harassment, victimisation and any other conduct that is prohibited by or under the Equality Act.
- Advance equality of opportunity between persons who share a relevant protected characteristic and persons who do not share it.
- Foster good relations between persons who share a relevant protected characteristic and persons who do not share it.
Our Equality Objectives
- To develop a workforce that has an increased awareness of equality and diversity issues in the delivery of good quality patient care.
- To improve our processes for collating, monitoring and usage of our equality data across the nine protected characteristics as defined by the Equality Act for both our patients and workforce.
- Deliver services that meet the needs of patients and other service users from all sections of the community that the Trust serves.
- Establish clear governance arrangements to ensure all senior leaders and managers are enabled to contribute to ensuring equality and diversity is embedded in all that we do.
Reports and policies
- UHSM Equality and Diversity Policy
- UHSM Annual Equality Report – January 2016
- UHSM Workforce Equality Monitoring Report – March 2015
- UHSM Workforce Race and Equality Standard Return 2015
- UHSM Workforce Race and Equality Standard Return 2016