UHSM is a major acute teaching hospital trust providing services for adults and children at Wythenshawe Hospital and Withington Community Hospital and Community Services. We are recognised as a centre of clinical excellence in a number of specialist areas and provide district general hospital services and specialist tertiary services to our local community.
Our fields of specialist expertise – including cardiology and cardiothoracic surgery, heart and lung transplantation, respiratory conditions, burns and plastics, cancer and breast care services – not only service the people of South Manchester, but help patients from across the North West and beyond. We are also recognised in the region and nationally for the quality of our teaching and research and development. Our major research programmes focus on cancer, heart and lung disease, wound management and medical education.
- The biggest care provider in Greater Manchester for cardiac, plastic and thoracic surgery, respiratory medicine, vascular surgery and breast surgery
- The majority regional provider for many respiratory subspecialties, including adult cystic fibrosis and sleep services
- One of only five UK heart and lung transplantation centres which has carried out more than 1,000 transplants
- Home to cutting edge cardiac services based in the North West Heart Centre – one of the biggest Cardiothoracic ICU’s in the country; severe heart failure service; one of the largest thoracic surgery programmes in the country
- One of only five UK centres of ECMO technology and UHSM played a vital part in saving lives during the swine flu epidemic in 2011
- A founding member of the Manchester Academic Health Science Centre – a partnership between The University of Manchester and six NHS organisations, uniting leading healthcare providers with world-class academics and clinical researchers
- UHSM is the UK’s base for aspergillosis treatment and research
- The first hospital to publish consultant clinical outcomes for one speciality with plans to increase this pioneering transparency drive
- A research organisation that carries out 250-300 research trials per year including the largest breast cancer prevention research trials in Europe; major research programmes focus on cancer, heart and lung disease, wound management and medical education
UHSM has approximately 5,900 members of staff, including those employed by our Private Finance Initiative partner South Manchester Healthcare Limited. We also have around 500 valued volunteers, who give up their free time to help our patients and visitors. We are a values-led organisation and our Vision, Mission and Values are central to the way we do things every day.
UHSM is a Foundation Trust which means we are still part of the NHS but have greater financial freedom to decide how to improve the services we operate. We are accountable to the local communities we serve and our patients, relatives, carers, staff and general public can join the Trust as members.
Our Trust Constitution sets out the role and responsibilities of the Board of Directors and the Council of Governors. The Board is responsible for the management and governance of the Trust. It ensures that we are compliant with our constitution, our licence to operate and with the independent regulator, Monitor. Monitor ensures NHS Foundation Trust organisations are run well, so they can continue delivering good quality services for patients.
If you would like to find out more about the Trust and how it’s performing, you can view our strategic publications, including annual reports and plans.