Our employees are our most valuable asset. We are committed to providing education, learning and development opportunities that support our workforce to achieve excellence and become the best that they can be.
Realising our people potential
We support our employees’ personal and professional development through a series of structured learning and development opportunities, such as:
- Corporate and clinical induction
- Preceptorship programmes for newly qualified
- LEAD – our leadership development programme
- In-house coaching service
- Mandatory training programme
We also want all our employees to feel good about working for the Trust and to be proud of its achievements. It is important that our colleagues feel valued, appreciated, and listened to. There are a variety of forums for staff to meet with the Executive Team to discuss new ideas and review current working practices. We hold team briefings and issue weekly newsletters to help keep everyone informed.
A variety of employee surveys ensure decision-makers are aware of what people are thinking throughout our organisation and that employee views are captured and acted upon. In addition to this, we formally recognise the contributions of our employees via our monthly and annual Staff Diamond Awards.
Holidays and entitlements
All new UHSM staff are entitled to a generous annual leave entitlement as well as public bank holidays. Leave entitlement increases with service as follows:
- Up to five years service: 27 days
- After five years service: 29 days
- After 10 years service: 33 days
If a new employee is already working for the NHS, their accrued leave entitlement can be transferred to their new role with UHSM. At UHSM we recognise that many employees have caring responsibilities outside of work and that from time to time, emergency leave may be required. We also offer comprehensive maternity, paternity and adoption leave schemes with benefits in excess of the statutory schemes.
The NHS pension scheme provides an excellent benefit package, which is fully protected against inflation and guaranteed by the government. Eligible staff will be automatically enrolled in the NHS Pension Scheme, unless they choose to opt out. Employees that are unable to join the scheme due to eligibility will automatically be enrolled into our alternate scheme (NEST), again unless they choose to opt out.
A number of schemes are available to help staff combine work and home life. Colleagues at UHSM are currently taking advantage of a large range of flexible working opportunities including part-time working, job sharing, compressed hours, unpaid employment breaks and flexi-time.
Parental and family support
Our dedicated Staff Benefits team can give advice and information on childcare both within the Trust and outside. We offer advice and help with staff going on and returning from maternity leave, working tax and child credits, childcare vouchers, how to find a childminder, navigating benefits and local and national government support.
UHSM provide an on-site nursery, Kids Allowed, providing places for children aged between six weeks old and school age. Places are offered on a full-time and part-time basis. UHSM employees can take advantage of paying their fees via salary sacrifice.
Salary sacrifice schemes
Our staff can benefit from the following salary sacrifice schemes:
- Cycle to Work Schemes – providing bicycle and equipment up to the value of £1000.00, saving yourself up to 47% of the cost.
- Car Lease Scheme – competitively priced, trouble free motoring provided in partnership with NHS Fleet Solutions.
- Home Technology & Smart Phone Scheme – access to the latest and highly desirable home technology and smartphone products.
- Childcare Vouchers – save up to £933 a family a year in registered childcare costs.
- Car Parking Costs – ensures our car parking costs are as low as possible. By paying through salary sacrifice employees can make savings via reduced tax, national insurance and pension contributions.
Frontis Homes manage the residential accommodation at UHSM, which is located within a five minute walk from the hospital. A total of 144 tenancies are provided through a range of three and four bed-shared apartments and two and three bed self-contained apartments. For more information contact our Accommodation Manager: Pat Wright, 0161 291 5253, Pat.Wright@UHSM.NHS.UK.
Employee Health and Wellbeing
At UHSM we appreciate that high quality patient care relies on motivated and highly skilled staff, who are not only physically and mentally well enough to do their jobs but feel valued, well-supported and fully engaged.
Within our Health and Wellbeing Strategy, we provide employees with access to a range of targeted programmes and initiatives that strive to create a positive and supportive culture. We invest in support services for our employees, enabling them to work at their optimum level.
Our multidisciplinary team deliver a range of Employee Health and Wellbeing Services that include:
- Fitness for Work advice and support
- Access to 24/7 counselling, general advice service and health portal (via our Employee Assistance Programme)
- Rapid access physiotherapy services
- Emotional Resilience and Wellbeing training modules (within our open access training programme – LEAD Programme)
- Immunisation and Vaccination Programmes